May 25, 2009

Memorial Day 2009






Like most people I probably don't teach my children enough about being thankful. About being grateful for the lives we get to live... I try, but for some reason so much of what I have to say gets lost in the paternal translation. On days like today though, I think I see a little of what I've been drumming into their heads surface for the rest of the world to see. As the honor guard passed us this morning my five year old son took his baseball hat off and placed it over his heart. I overheard my daughter recite the pledge of allegiance along with the veterans and their families during a ceremony to honor those we've lost fighting for our country's freedom. Maybe they don't always show it, but I think maybe my children are starting to figure out that they're just part of something much greater than themselves. Happy Memorial Day everyone!

1 comment: