May 29, 2011

Hooty and the Red Shag Pillow




My daughter is just a little obsessed with owls.  Loves them!  Wears them on necklaces, shirts, headbands and is constantly drawing them too.  I'm a generally creative person, which says both a lot and not that much at the same time.  I'm all for sewing,  knitting, baking, painting...  if it means I can get the project done in a day or two.  I'm creative - with a time limit. 
So a few days ago Caitlin and I got this idea - she'd draw one of her infamous owls and together we'd bring him to life.  As she sketched out his eyes, beak, wings and feet... I gathered scrap fabric and started cutting out pieces.  I set the sewing machine to zig-zag and layered the scraps on top of each other.  This is what we got!  She loves it because it's her drawing - in a tangible, holdable form.  I love it because she loves it and thinks I'm a little bit magical for being able to make it.  Anyone who knows sewing knows it's really not that difficult - but we don't have to tell her!
Behind the owl - I think her name is Liberty... no, Ruffles... is the pillow I also made for Caitlin's teacher.  I love giving my kids' teachers gifts at the end of the school year to let them know how appreciated they are.  This was also a very easy project.  It would have been a thousand times easier if I'd been able to find a decent pair of scissors around here, but that's a whole other story.  The pillow is strips of t-shirt material layered together to create a shag look.  I think it looks cute and trendy - truth be told I've already made a yellow one for myself.
So let your creative side out!  See what you can create!  It will make you feel good - and a little bit magical too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment