July 25, 2009

Catching Fireflies

So my nine year old daughter had her first sleepover party last night. I had been dreading it, honestly, because I wanted to do all the right things. Serve the right food - provide the right amount of entertainment - but not too much or she'll think I'm hovering - and encourage the group to go to sleep at just the right time. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Cate's pals had a great time just being girls. There were a few games... a little pizza... a little cake... a little gift opening... and a lot of fun. The big hit of the evening? Catching Fireflies! The girls ran around our yard at dusk trying to catch one of these summertime staples... once their jar was full they let them all go - content to watch them fly off into the night. I should have known that when children get together all they really need is the opportunity to let their imaginations light up - just like the fireflies.

1 comment:

  1. I adore these photos. My absolute favorite is the jar and the hands shot. What a cool night.

    ReplyDelete