June 17, 2009

Graduation Day




My son graduated from Kindergarten a week or so ago... an event that I'd previously perceived with both happiness and sadness. On the one hand, he's doing what every mother dreams of... he's going out into the world and succeeding! He's mastered some basic reading, math and spelling. He's made some new friends. He's learned how to tie his shoes and work the zipper on his pants all by himself. What accomplishments! Most of all though, he's learned how to spend a great deal of his time away from me, which is where the sad part comes in. whoopee! He's good at doing things without me. Making friends without me. Having a great time, without me. I know it's selfish, but there's a tiny part of me that was hoping that I was the key to all of that. Guess not. I wasn't the key to his sister's, why should I be the key to his. Anyway, I truly am a proud mama and the fact that I knew of another mother in the crowd who might never see another of her daughter's graduations made me all the more thankful. How blessed am I that I was there to witness such a fantastic event in my son's life. Guess I'll gladly take the little dollop of sadness with the giant vat of happiness. So, here he is walking through the school's garden to get his diploma... and a little comparison. My boy in the first and last days of kindergarten. A huge thank you to Mrs. Miller for all the fabulous ways she helped him grow over the past year.

1 comment:

  1. what a gorgeous location for a ceremony. your town is full of good ideas!

    ReplyDelete